What Can You Do with A CDL?
Getting your commercial driver’s license is a fantastic career move that can open up numerous career paths for you. But what exactly can you do with a CDL? There are more options than you may think.
Coastal Truck Driving School is the premier CDL training program in the Gulf South, with campuses located in Louisiana and Mississippi. If you’re considering getting your CDL, Coastal’s ELDT-compliant program is the right choice. Start your career in as little as four weeks when you contact Coastal today.
What You Can Do with A Class A CDL
A Class A commercial driver’s license allows license holders to operate large commercial trucks like tractor trailers, flatbeds, and truck-trailers. The different types of jobs you can do with a Class A CDL include:
- Over-the-road-driver – Drivers transport cargo across the country on long trips. While this job offers high pay, drivers will be on the road for weeks at a time.
- Regional or local driver – These jobs allow drivers to be home on the weekends or every day since the routes are much shorter than over the road.
- Auto transport – With a Class A CDL, drivers can haul automobiles from location to location. These jobs typically also require drivers to inspect the automobiles for damage during transport.
- Owner/Operator – Being an owner/operator is an enticing proposition for those who want to be their own boss. Drivers will own their trucks, start their own company, and be in charge of all contracts.
[Related: Regional vs. Over-the-road Trucking]
What You Can Do with B Class A CDL
Being a bus driver and operating construction vehicles are just a few of the things you can do with a Class B CDL. The list of what you can do with a Class B CDL includes:
- Moving company – Large moving companies hire Class B CDL holders to operate their moving trucks. Drivers who choose this career path should also expect to help load and unload these trucks.
- Bus driver – Bus drivers, whether assigned to municipal or school buses, are required to have at least a Class B CDL. Drivers typically work locally and are home every day.
- Driver of dump trucks or other construction-related vehicles – From dump trucks to cement mixers, construction sites have numerous vehicles that require at least Class B CDLs to operate.
- Sanitation truck driver – Sanitation trucks require a CDL to operate. This career path is great for those who want consistent routes and to be home every day.
[Related: The Types of CDLs]
What Can You Do with CDL? Jobs That Don’t Involve Driving
Some non-driving jobs closely related to trucking require a CDL, while others may not, but holding a CDL could help you advance in your career. The list of non-driving jobs you can do with a CDL includes:
- Mechanic/maintenance – While mechanics don’t normally need a CDL to work on commercial vehicles, having at least a Class B CDL allows for more versatility in the field.
- Dispatcher – Dispatchers handle the logistics of trucking companies. This career path does not require a CDL, but many drivers transition into this role after years of driving.
- Instructor – Instructors are required to have a CDL and train students on how to drive trucks and the ins & outs of the industry.
- Recruiter – Recruiters do not need to have a CDL, but knowing how to operate a truck and how the industry works can help with recruitment. Truck drivers are much more likely to trust a fellow trucker.
- Transportation supervisor – This job is similar to a dispatcher but involves more responsibility. Transportation supervisors will be in charge of various aspects like assigning routes, keeping tabs on freight, and much more. A CDL is not required, but trucking experience may help you get the job.
[Related: Tips For New Drivers]
Choose The Right CDL Program – Coastal Truck Driving School
Now that you know what you can do with a CDL, it’s time to take the next step and start your training! Coastal Truck Driving School is a leading CDL program that has helped thousands of people advance in their careers. With exceptional training and a graduate job placement program, Coastal offers what no other school can promise – a bright future. Contact our offices today at 1-800-486-3639 and get started.